I’ll be the first to admit it, I bloody love a cocktail. If you read my Christmas Cocktails post, then you’ll know that I also love making them. It’s a chance to get a little bit creative and I just have so much fun inventing new cocktails to try. As per my Christmas cocktail blog post, I realise that not everybody drinks alcohol, so in each recipe I will highlight any substitutes you can make in order to make mocktails.
Blueberry Sex on the Beach
I love this original cocktail a lot. It’s so easy to make and it always tastes amazing! It always reminds me of summer, and even though sometimes it can be quite sweet, I feel like it’s one of those cocktails that you could make a jug of, for a BBQ or any kind of summer gathering! Also I friggin’ love this cute lightbulb-shaped mason jar, how cute is it?!
- Fresh blueberries
- 1/4 ounces of simple syrup (1:1 ratio water and sugar)
- 120 ml cranberry juice
- 120 ml orange juice
- 50 ml blueberry schnapps // replace with blueberry puree for mocktails //
- Crush blueberries in the bottom of the glass using a muddler or a wooden spoon and add the simple syrup.
- Mix the cranberry juice and orange juice in a jug and stir with a spoon.
- Add the blueberry schnapps.
- Mix thoroughly and pour into tumblers (or cool mason jars).
Cranberry Apple Fizz
I was very lucky to receive some bottles of Toffee Apple ciders from Brother’s (which is very delish btw), and I wanted to include it in this blog post, because I don’t drink cider a lot during the year but during summer it’s just a go-to drink!
- 2 bottles of Toffee Apple Cider // replace with lemonade for mocktails //
- 1 carton cranberry juice
- Apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon.
- Add 2/3 apple slices to a flute.
- Add cranberry juice.
- Top with toffee apple cider.
Apple and Blueberry Gin & Tonic
A cool, elegant, refreshing serve. You can add more ‘bite’ with a dash of lemon juice, if you like. I just love gin and tonics, especially in the summer when they are so much more refreshing. I feel like the apple and blueberry gives a fruity twist.
- 50ml elderflower flavoured gin // leave out for mocktails //
- Two sprigs of fresh mint
- Handful of blueberries
- 100ml chilled tonic
- Rimming sugar
1. Place the gin, mint and bluberries in the bottom of a cocktail shaker or glass jug, and stir for a minute, squashing down the mint and cucumber with the back of a spoon.
2. Strain into a tall thin tumbler containing a couple of ice cubes, and top up with tonic.
3. Garnish with mint.
Possibly the easiest cocktail to make in the world, but you know what, it tastes damn good and that’s all that matters! I love easy but tasty cocktails because I’m lazy and this is just perfect.
- 100ml cranberry juice
- 100ml lemonade
- 50ml vodka // leave out for mocktails //
- Few sprigs of mint
- Lemon slices to garnish
1. Mix cranberry juice and lemonade with the vodka in a tumbler.
2. Serve over ice and garnish with lemon slices.
Toffee Apple & Cinnamon Rum Punch
As I mentioned earlier, the guys over at Brother’s Ciders sent me over some of their toffee apple cider, which tasted incredible. I loved the idea of making a rum punch because to me, it just screams summer! It would also be perfect for a BBQ and to pretend you’re in the Caribbean… Maybe that’s just me ha!
- 3 bottles of toffee apple cider // use lemonade for mocktails //
- 100 ml of rum // leave out for mocktails //
- Splash of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
1. Mix the cider, rum, lemon juice and cinnamon powder in a cocktail dispenser and use a large stirrer or wooden spoon to mix well.
2. Drink up and enjoy the sun!
So that was it for my summer cocktail ideas! I hope this has inspired you to make some summery drinks for when you have BBQs, or even if you just want a chilled day at home with some friends and family. I’d love to see you re-create any of these drinks, so if you do make any of these, please post them on Instagram and tag me @thedizzyingheights – and do give me a follow whilst you’re there too (cheeky little plug!)